Thenon and the “Rue des Arts et des Saveurs”
Located at an altitude of 268 meters, the town of Thenon was a " castrum ", a defensive position bordered to the west by "ditches" now filled in. Occupied since prehistoric times, the area of the commune conceals several Paleolithic deposits. The square tower near the church, with its 12th Century apse preserved, must have belonged to the castle.
The treetop adventure park, L'appel de la Forêt, in Thenon, is one of the largest adventure parks in the Dordogne. Thanks to its safety equipment and the security lifeline, it offers a great experience for all levels and the whole family.
La rue des arts et des saveurs brings together artists and creators.
The bell tower of the church is apparently located on the place of the former castle's dungeon, of which the ruins can be visited.
To see and to do
• L’Appel de la Forêt: This treetop adventure course will delight the whole family: footbridges, Himalayan bridges, Tarzan jumps... and 50 fantastic zip lines from 5 to 150m long. For 2 to 4 hours, 10 progressive courses and more than 150 workshops allow everyone to enjoy the experience at their own level. On site: refreshment bar, picnic area. Open from April to September
• La rue des Arts et des Saveurs: Producers, craftsmen, creators and artists are found all along the main thoroughfare of the town centre. The gallery "Thenon Les Z'Arts" welcomes artists and creators. "L'Epicerie Paysanne" is a group of producers, all passionate, who regularly deliver fresh products directly from their farms and workshops. "Faire et Fil" is an association of weavers...
• Tuesday morning market: an authentic traditional local producers market. A veritable institution and a very colourful one, a market where you can replenish your supplies of the local products of which we are so proud. In summer the market atmosphere continues in the market hall for a meal with musical entertainment.
• The castle: Part of the dungeon and the surrounding wall can be visited.
• St. Martial's Church: 12th Century.The nave, in the shape of a Latin cross, has a triumphal arch and an altar made of Carrara marble dating from 1882.
• The market hall: Recently renovated, it is the venue for animated meals at the festive markets which take place on Tuesday lunchtime during the summer season. A convivial and gourmet rendez-vous with our local producers.
• The lake: L'étang de Thenon, situated in the valley beneath the town, is a place of tranquillity, rejuvenation and inspiration in all seasons. Anglers will be delighted. In the summer months, the "Guinguette" is an essential place to have a drink and a bite to eat. Throughout the season, a renowned programme of themed meals and concerts is on offer.
• La guinguette de l'étang: A popular summer venue for musicians, the "Guinguette" allows you to enjoy dinner on the edge of the lake while listening to an eclectic selection of music live on stage.
• Covered market hall: A hall, fully equipped for events of all kinds, offering throughout the year cinema screenings, concerts, plays, themed meals and shows, as well as the twice-yearly wellness and alternative medicine salon.
A stroll through Thenon
Activities in Thenon
Mairie de Thenon
Place de la Mairie
Tél. : +33 5 53 06 88 10